[Nottingham] apache or squid for proxying?

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Wed Oct 14 14:57:08 UTC 2009

> Anyone got an opinion on whether to use apache or squid as a
> (transparent) network proxy for http/https/ftp ?
>
> Advantages/disadvantages?

https - will only get a proxy rather than a cache unless you do evil things
:)
squid gets my vote on the proxy front - It's a lot more configurable IMHO
for blacklists, adding auth etc

> And will that cache the damnably huge updates that a certain OS is often
> wont to download?

I've used squid previously to try and cache content for microsoft updates -
some updates worked some didn't, "some" fiddling required. I'm going to run
after saying this but maybe WSUS be more appropriate if they are in a
network?

Also I'm guessing since windows update now uses BITS it's likely to cache
even less these days.

ChrisB.