[Nottingham] apache or squid for proxying?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 15:28:18 UTC 2009

Mike Cardwell wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
>> Anyone got an opinion on whether to use apache or squid as a
>> (transparent) network proxy for http/https/ftp ?
>>
>> Advantages/disadvantages?
>>
>> And will that cache the damnably huge updates that a certain OS is often
>> wont to download?
>
> Can you actually use Apache to do that? I don't think mod_proxy would be
> suitable... Is there some other module which would allow it?

Yep. There's a few modules in there now for proxying. I'm also going to
play with webmin and hence apache + proxy modules is a nice idea rather
than loading up yet another application.

> I would use squid over Apache for that purpose purely because squid is
> designed to do exactly the job you're searching for.

Yes, my first thoughts were to use squid until I noticed that apache
supposedly can do the same job now...

Shame about the Microsoft nefariousness that clobbers the caching idea...

martin at ml1.co.uk