[Nottingham] Linux in the BBC news

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:31:35 UTC 2009

2009/10/27 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
> Folks,
>
> After the rampant splash of articles giving 'free advertising' to
> Microsoft and Windows 7, perhaps the BBC are trying for a little balance:

> At least Linux is becoming far less "obscure"...
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

It wasn't a bad article really and was needed since the previous "24
hours with Ubuntu" didn't go down well in the community. Some of the
comments on Rory Cellan-Jones' BBC blog are straight-up abusive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html
if you didn't read them yet.

To say it's made me quite angry is an understatement, but
unfortunately shows a darker side to the Linux community which we
really could do with ending. To quote Rory: "Finally, is the kind of
hostility shown in some of these comments really going to win over
millions of the undecided to the Linux camp?"

Simon