[Nottingham] Linux in the BBC news

Going It Alone reggaemaker at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:52:57 UTC 2009

My 24hr Review of: Quantum Mechanics.

Not having any previous experience in this field, I thought I would
give it a try.

Sorry folks, I found the mathmatics involved too time consuming.  As a
science it's doomed to failure!  Now where did I put my abacus :D

2009/10/27 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
> Simon Osborne wrote:
>> 2009/10/27 Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> After the rampant splash of articles giving 'free advertising' to
>>> Microsoft and Windows 7, perhaps the BBC are trying for a little balance:
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm
>>>

>>> At least Linux is becoming far less "obscure"...
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin
>>
>> It wasn't a bad article really and was needed since the previous "24
>> hours with Ubuntu" didn't go down well in the community. Some of the
>> comments on Rory Cellan-Jones' BBC blog are straight-up abusive.
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html
>> if you didn't read them yet.
>>
>> To say it's made me quite angry is an understatement, but
>> unfortunately shows a darker side to the Linux community which we
>> really could do with ending. To quote Rory: "Finally, is the kind of
>> hostility shown in some of these comments really going to win over
>> millions of the undecided to the Linux camp?"
>

> Well, I judge the tone of the review as "It ain't Windows so it just
> can't be any good." Suspiciously casually provocative.
>
> It could be that it was an off-the-cuff deliberately provocative review
> to generate a lot of furore and angst for the reviewer to then gauge
> 'interest' to then write a more positive follow-up.
>
> Scanning through the first batch of posts, I was impressed by the very
> sane and even-handed comments from the pro-linux posts despite a few
> crass Windows-esq posts.
>

> At over 240 posts and the comments needing moderating, at least it shows
> there's some good interest stirred there! Hopefully the follow-up will
> be soon enough to help avoid at least a few Windows7 punters being
> disappointed with the money they've misspent...
>

> Linus is famously commented with: "Microsoft Hatred is a Disease"[*]
>
> Perhaps Steve Ballmer needs to be able to be quoted with similar comment
> such as "Linux hatred is a disease"?
>

> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> * See: http://www.osnews.com/story/21887/Linus_Microsoft_Hatred_is_a_Disease
>
> for a few more details.
>

> --

Click the link below and tune in to {Een-Gesin Net Radio}

http://een-gesin.kicks-ass.org