[Nottingham] Best Server Distro?

Benjamin Crowe sneblot at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 19:03:32 UTC 2009

ran into the second problem now I have got to the point on this tut
here http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3-p3
where I am configuring the network. Ok I have done this so far

vi /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.100
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1

Then restart your network:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Then edit /etc/hosts. Make it look like this:

vi /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.100   server1.example.com     server1

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Its now asking me to run this command but when I try to nothing happens

Now run

echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start