[Nottingham] Reconfigure X on remote server

Simon Sleaford simon.sleaford at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 08:16:45 UTC 2010

Hello

I've got a remote server that is not giving me a display to my Windows XP
VNC client. I can SSH to the machine but when I try to VNC is refuses the
connection. Initially I though X must have failed to start but when I "sudo
startx" it says

*Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.*

*Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at **http://wiki.x.org* <http://wiki.x.org/>
* for help.*
* ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
No protocol specified
giving up.
xinit:  Resource temporarily unavailable (errno 11):  unable to connect to X
server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/itsupport/.Xauthority*

I'm not really sure what I need to do to get it working again for this
machine. I want to avoid travelling across town if I can to get to it.

Can anybody give me a pointer? From the message I can see that it says it is
already active for display 0 so I'm assuming it's still got the monitor
attached to it. I've also looked inside /tmp/.X0-lock and see it has a job
ID so it seems like it is running. Can I remove the file and try startx
again?

Thanks

Simon