[Nottingham] Reconfigure X on remote server

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 12:48:57 UTC 2010

Hi,

I think startx is usually used for the main X server... Checking my
cribsheet, the last time I started a vnc server it was manually using
a perl script called vncserver (with optional arguments for geometry).

If your server is configured to do this automatically then it has
stopped working. Try running vncserver manually and see if a Xvnc
process is started, if so it should give you a display to use, if not
it might give you useful errors saying why it didn't start.

I prefer freenx to vnc but YMMV! Good luck,

-Cam