[Nottingham] USB Digital Microscopes

TJ linux at tjworld.net
Mon Apr 19 21:06:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 20:27 +0000, Ron Wilton wrote:
> Hello
>
> Does anyone know of a USB Digital Microscope that can be used with
> Ubuntu?

The Intel Play QX3 [1] (revised as the Digital Blue QX5) were cheap and
popular and had supporting projects for Linux [2].

I've used the QX3 for inspecting faulty printed circuit boards and
similar tasks [3].

Last time I tried it I discovered and used the Qtx3 [4] package but I as
far as I can tell there isn't an up to date package for Ubuntu [5]
although there are forum instructions for compiling it on Hardy (08.04).

I've just pulled my QX3 out of mothballs to give it a go on Lucid
(10.04) and if I'm successful I'll upload an Ubuntu/Debian package for
it to my Ubuntu PPA and possibly Debian Mentors too.

TJ.

[1] http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/optics/intelplay/
[2] http://kim.oyhus.no/Microscope.html
[3] http://www.shallowsky.com/micro/