[Nottingham] [Talk] Wednesday 04/08/2010 What distro? And why so many of 'em?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 12:17:43 UTC 2010

Folks,

What Linux distro? And why so many of 'em?

Keeping up with the multiple distro releases is an impossible job for
most people, there's so many distros! From this week's Distro Watch
http://distrowatch.com/
there were 3 distros released last week and another is upcoming. That's
just for one week! There's a top 100 distros and there's many more than
that... And yet most people outside of Linux have heard of at most just
/two/ OSes/systems...

So why?

And how?

And how to choose?

Are we in the midst of a Cambrian explosion of Linux?

And if you have any hardware you'd like help with to install a distro,
you're welcome to bring it along. (Backup any data /first/ ...)

All at:

The Navigation

http://www.lock6.co.uk/
Real ale, food, and free WiFi access

Wednesday 04/08/2010

Meet:	19:30
(in the bar somewhere - look for penguins or just shout "where's NLUG!")

Talk/Questions/Discussion:	20:00
(in the room upstairs)

Beers and Linux and other topics until 23:00

The Navigation Inn
6 Wilford Street
Nottingham
NG2 1AA
Tel: 0115 9417139

http://www.pub-explorer.com/notts/pub/navigationinnnottingham.htm
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=52.948&lon=-1.1518&scale=10000&icon=x

(Hope we're not geeked out with TWO geekie events in Nottingham in the
same week! :-) )

All welcome,

(Just look for the netbooks or ask the friendly barstaff.)

martin at ml1.co.uk