[Nottingham] Help with Ubuntu 10.10 - Graphical interface crash continued (Barry Allen)

Barry Allen barry_a_14 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 19:03:55 UTC 2010

Hi Guys,

Sorry if you get this message twice but I think I didn't report my findings back properly.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Sorry I didn't realise there was a problem moving from 10.4 to 10.10.

I think the area I'm getting the problems is in the x.org part. Unfortunately I didn't really understand the stuff on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1585906. How can I find out about which graphics drivers I need? Can I re-install just this bit or reverse back to a previous version?

So far I've tried rebooting via an older live CD (Ubuntu 8.04) where I was able to see many of the directories but unfortunately many of user areas gave the message "you do not have permission to read it@ when I tried to copy or click on the directories so copying them to the external drive wasn't possible.

Does someone know if I can change to root or a user access while using a live CD?

I also found myself viewing the startup log when I tried to restart the PC. All was OK until it reached the vesa and fbdev area. It seemed to see my hardware but then said trying to go to old probe for each of vesa and fbdev before listing no such device for several lines the fatal server error. screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration was also mentioned in the log.

I did manage to boot in failsafe low-graphics mode but it claimed screen graphics card, input device settings could not be detected correctly.

Tried to use startx but got no such device followed by fatal server error. While in the command line I went to /media but all that is there was cdrom and cdrom0. even when I pulled in a flash drive I didn't get it appear so I don't think it automatically mounted anything.

Tried the cp line from Christoper but because it didn't see the external drive it came up with an error.

Is there anyway of reverting back to 10.4 without losing my photos so I can back them up and then re-install?

Thanks for all the help so far again guys, Is there anything else you can suggest?

Barry