[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 373, Issue 2

Duncan Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 21:39:55 UTC 2010

Barry Allen wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thank you for more suggestions and I'll try them as soon as I can. Only problem now is the PC is "initiating shutdown" about a minute after it says its starting up. This happens both when booting from the live CD and the hard disk.
>
> Thanks to all who have helped out and I'll keep you informed of my progress once I get my over-sized paper weight to boot.

hmmm, this is beginning to sound like a hardware problem.
It would be worth trying a different distro live CD (eg. Fedora core 14).
All distros modify the vanilla linux kernel.  Sometimes, if you are
unlucky (and I have been), they do something that goes horribly wrong
on your hardware.  Since different distros patch the kernel differently
it is worth trying one to see if that overcomes the problem.

Have fun,
Duncan