[Nottingham] [Talk] *Wed* 03/02/2010 From Switch On to Desktop

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 12:44:39 UTC 2010

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Note the change of day to *Wednesdays* for the talks meets. Good, bad,
> or indifferent? Let me know please!
>

> For our next talk the subject is a non-geekie view of what happens when
> you switch on your PC through to when you see your desktop displayed.
>
> The essential details will be skimmed through so that an idea can be
> gained of what is involved. I'm also very amenable to be plied with beer
> later for the deeper geekie detail!

Well, that proved to be a good move of day considering the turnout. By
popular vote of number of people, we'll keep to Wednesdays for the talks.

And as for the talk... Errmmmm... OK... So I didn't get past the first
slide! Instead, lot's of audience participation so it became more of a
discussion/tak. Hopefully, all got the idea of what steps are run
through both for the PC hardware and the various software to ultimately
put a pretty picture up for your desktop.

Requests for future talks are welcomed. What do you want to hear or to
know about?

And the Navvy revamp continues. They've got WiFi working, they're
serving food. And best of all, they're lining up a good selection of
real ales. The ones sampled on the night were certainly good. They're
also working on a website to publicise the place:

http://www.lock6.co.uk/

(For those that might not have noticed, they're at Lock #6 on the
Nottingham & Beeston canal. ;-) )

Next meet is a foodie social Thursday 18/02/2010 this week at the Big Wok.

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk