[Nottingham] [Talk] Thurs 07/01/2010 A GUI Past & Future

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 12:43:25 UTC 2010

Folks,

Happy New Year!

And I hope all enjoyed whatever festivities or just a nice quiet break.

For the first Thursday meet of the year, we have:

A GUI Past & Future
===================

Whilst doing the Christmas rounds, I was in discussion with various
people about how we 'play' with all things players, computers, and
machines. A lot is what we as geeks are totally immersed in and take for
granted. However, /most/ people are still left bewildered and lost.
There's no point in us enjoying GNU freedom in our little software niche
if people are 'locked out' because of GUIs...

So what is there? Or "so what" even?

And desert island natives do perfectly well without any GUI at all!...

I'll also be putting together a few ideas to post a calendar of talks
for the year. What would you like to hear? What interests?

And are there any volunteers to revamp our long dormant website? (A lot
of work was put into the old drupal site. Either resurrect that or at
least retrieve the content?)

All at our usual Navvy to navigate a few stories and a few beers:

The Navigation

http://www.thenavvy.co.uk/

*Thursday 07/01/2010*

Meet:	19:30
(in the bar somewhere - look for penguins or just shout "where's NLUG!")

Talk/Questions/Discussion:	20:00
(in the room upstairs)

Beers and Linux and other topics until 23:00

The Navigation Inn
6 Wilford Street
Nottingham
NG2 1AA
Tel: 0115 9417139

http://www.pub-explorer.com/notts/pub/navigationinnnottingham.htm
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=52.948&lon=-1.1518&scale=10000&icon=x

We head up to the large room upstairs at round abouts 8pm.
Unfortunately, no WiFi access until their adsl gets reconnected!

They likely have food available by now.

To find us, just look for any penguins or a cluster of netbooks!
Or ask the friendly bar staff.

All welcome,

GUI: Graphical User Interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface