[Nottingham] [Talk] Thurs 07/01/2010 A GUI Past & Future

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:32:40 UTC 2010

idea for the website: put the content on a google account (7.5GB there
so plenty space!) and link it via an iframe on an ICQ account (the
iframe takes care of the ads n other assorted "goodies" that ice likes
to foist on you) to take care of the ddns problem right there at the
registrar end eg www.thiswebsite.com redirects to
http://members.icq.com/12324567a/ which loads an iframe from your
server (single page there which takes about 0.0001sec to load, how's
that for efficiency?) and everything else from a googlemail virtual
drive. That's what I used to do for my local content before I
discovered Apache (and the associated bandwidth overhead that
threatens to melt my modem every time someone hit one of my client
sites) and WAAAAY before Google Mail offered a method to mount your
account space as a network drive. OK, the Google/ICQ method is a bit
cheesy and mixing relatively old tech with relatively new tech, but it
works and it's /free/.

</ramble>

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici