[Nottingham] query on new laptop

Frederic Vagner fred at vagner.me.uk
Wed Jul 14 12:47:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

I just got a brand new laptop from DELL, Precision M4500, I use Fedora
13, and I transferred my home directory from my old Dell XPS M1210 to
the new install of Fedora.
Everything is working perfectly fine except Wifi (the card is a Broadcom
BCM43224, apparently too recent, the group working on the driver says
that they are working on supporting this new chipset, on their website),
and the 3D rendering on the nVidia Quadro FX880M, but it should work in
the next few days, when I get around to it.

I think it also depends which distro you want to use on your laptop, and
how much time you want to spend to set it up properly. I would recommend
Fedora or Ubuntu as they are more user-friendly when it comes to setting
up all the bits and pieces like Wifi, Video cards/screen and USB.

Also, DELL is good, but more expensive than Acer, for example, however
I've never tried Acer.

Fred