[Nottingham] Maillist notes

Simon Osborne flibble at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:42:23 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 18:35, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 June 2010 18:23, Michael Erskine <msemtd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't give a damn about top-posting as long as it's done elegantly.
>> Not trimming is just plain impolite!
>
> But is becoming mandatory behaviour with certain software - is it
> still impolite if your software doesn't give you the option?
>
> Joshua

An interesting point. I have noticed a lot more portable devices no
longer provide the option to send mail in plain text or bottom-reply
to messages.

Top posting or bottom posting, it doesn't matter any more. Some people
have a preference but those preferences should be personal and not
enforced upon others. I read my emails with the most recent at the
top, and it's perfectly acceptable to read a thread with replies top
posted. Gmail hides quoted text by default anyway so makes no
difference.

And look at social networking such as Twitter where new messages are
at the top, even in replies or direct messages.

The top posting vs. bottom posting argument has been done to death.
But at least it brought people out of hiding!

Simon