[Nottingham] Maillist notes

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 19:16:14 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 19:09, Michael Erskine <msemtd at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 June 2010 18:35, Joshua Lock <incandescant at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 June 2010 18:23, Michael Erskine <msemtd at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't give a damn about top-posting as long as it's done elegantly.
>>> Not trimming is just plain impolite!
>
>> But is becoming mandatory behaviour with certain software - is it
>> still impolite if your software doesn't give you the option?
>
> What certain software? Outlook 2007 tries to push top-posting but it
> isn't mandatory -- I always edit my quotes when using Outlook at work.

The GMail app on Android phones, the email program on a Blackberry and
the Mail app on iPhones. Presumably mobile mail clients in general?

On my Android phone the GMail app automatically gives you a text entry
to enter your reply and bundles the previous text in quotes
underneath. I can't find any way to change this behaviour.
Gives you the above behaviour by default but adds the option to edit
or delete the quoted text.

I can't comment in any more detail on the other platforms email clients.

As devices with these mail clients on become more common place so will
top-posting on technical lists.

Thoughts?

Joshua
--