[Nottingham] Connecting router to Virgin/NTL cable

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 16:22:06 UTC 2010

Dave wrote:
> Martin wrote:
[---]
>> Last shot is that if you still have one of those very old big silver
>> "ntl home" modems, you may need to ring in to Virgin to get it replaced
>> for one of the newer and much smaller/faster black units now used.
>>

> Thanks for the replies everyone.  It turns out that it was a new MAC I
> was using since this is a different PC than I used to configure the
> original router - I'll try the same one as the old router as suggested
> in another post.  And it is a big silver ntl modem that we've had for
> maybe 6 - 8 ? years now.  At the moment the wireless is working as an
> access point behind the original router, but I'll have another go soon!

I very much suspect that you'll still need to phone Virgin for a new
(small black) modem so that you can benefit from the various speed
upgrades that they keep rolling out... The only pain is having to
re-register the new modem when you get it. (Easy enough but why does it
always take an hour?!)

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk