[Nottingham] [Social] *TODAY* Wednesday 17/03/2010 Pizza 'n' Beer

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:15:07 UTC 2010

Ashley wrote:
> ... I am thinking of putting a different distro on it,
> something that boots fast, runs fast, stable, supports the hardware, &
> easy to maintain/update - any suggestions?

I think that is one for the list!

For my netbook, I've found Mandriva (x86 version) to be very good.
Especially so with the moblin or xfce desktops.

KDE works fine also but is slower to start up. One running, it too is fine.

By far the biggest speedup is from running firefox and thunderbird in tmpfs!

It will be worth repartitioning your ssd to align onto the erase block
boundaries.

I've still got Linpus on mine alongside Mandriva, but have not used the
Linpus for over a year now... It's only there to demo an alternative.

See you later,

martin at ml1.co.uk