[Nottingham] New distro for netbook and configure as wireless bridge

Ashley ashley.arb at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:08:01 UTC 2010

Thanks TJ, yes a router configuration on the netbook would be sufficient I
think (internet connection via the wired network, client smart-phone on the
wireless).  I would also like to use both devices on other wireless networks
from time to time so perhaps a script to configure the netbook as a router
when needed would be the best approach.  I have no experience with Wi-Fi
networking, does something need to run on the netbook for encryption (e.g
wpa2) and to enable it to be discovered by the handset?  I expect I will
need a DHCP server on the netbook wireless interface (?).  Is this a
worthwhile idea or should I just buy a wireless router?

My first problem with Puppy Linux 4.3.1...
wlan0 Wireless ath5k pci: Atheros Communications, *Device unknown*

I'll try a couple of other distros

Cheers,
Ashley