[Nottingham] Mounting a remote Windows filesystem

Simon Sleaford simon.sleaford at gmail.com
Tue May 25 08:12:04 UTC 2010

Morning all

I'm trying to mount a remote Windows Server 2003 share to my desktop
machine. I can access the share through the GUI in Ubuntu by clicking Place
> Connect to Server > Windows Share. What I need to do (I think) is mount it
to a proper mount point in my local filesystem in order to be able to run a
command to sort the remote folders into size order so that I can trim the
sizes down.

I'm trying to mount the Windows fs by typing:

*sudo mount -t cifs //remoteWindows/e$/users -o
username=myUsername,password=myPassword /media/windows/*

I've also tried the above command with *smbfs* instead of *cifs* but it
still doesn't work. This is what I get from my terminal when I try the above
mount command:

*mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //san-02/e$/StuHomeA-M,
*
*       missing codepage or helper program, or other error*
*       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might*
*       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)*

Can anybody shed any light on what I've got wrong? I'm a bit stumped. All
the forums and how-to guides seem to tell me that I'm doing it right, my
terminal disagrees!

Thanks

Simon