[Nottingham] DHCP problem

Aritra Dalal aritra.dalal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:21:33 UTC 2010

Hey!
I'm at the Nottingham University and for some reason I cannot seem to be
able to get on the network easily from my Ubuntu OS. I've tried various
EAP settings, but found Tunnelled TLS to work best (if at all). It takes
a couple of tries for the network to recognise my username, and after
the computer does get registered, the DHCP client fails to receive any
information 9 out of 10 times. In the rare occasion it does connect, the
network speeds are worse than the 56k dialup speeds (with and without
the proxies).

What's funny is that when i log into my windows partition, it works
fine, and works fine with my Maemo linux device. And as far as Ubuntu
goes, I tried it on 10.04 and on a fresh install of 10.10.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aritra.

PS. Also, does anyone know if the evolution's 'evolution-mapi' plugin
(http://www.go-evolution.org/MAPIProvider) can be used to access the new
mail servers on the university nottingham servers?
This email and any attachment(s) are for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s), and may contain confidential, or otherwise
priviledged, information, and unauthorised use of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email erroneously, please
notify the sender immediately, and delete this email and any attachment
from the system. Although reasonable precautions have been taken, the
sender accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the
presence of an infection.