[Nottingham] Are there any decent linux text editors?

Dave daveluff at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 15 22:46:02 UTC 2010

Hi List,

Yes, I know it's a slightly provocative subject line, but really, I'm at
my wits end after trying to find an editor that does what I want.  All
I'm looking for is an editor that's "normal" (i.e. runs in a gui window
and uses standard Windows key commands) and has a find-in-files dialog
that includes the ability to search subdirectories.  Like this
screenshot:

http://www.pnotepad.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/207fif.png

which is open-source, but is unfortunately Windows only.

On Windows I use jedit, but unfortunately it just doesn't seem to run as
well on Linux, and chokes on files with any ascii codes in the upper
half of the range.  It would be excellent if it didn't depend on Java I
guess.  Notepad++ is excellent but windows only.  On Linux scite almost
does what I want, but the find-in-files doesn't include the option to
search sub-directories.  There's loads of linux editors that sound like
they're the dog's whats-it's on their home page, but turn out to be ugly
dos-like things that run in a terminal when I install them (fte, ne,
etc).

So back to the original question - are there any text editors for Linux
that will actually cut the mustard with respect to my very modest
requirements?  Or will I have to resort to hacking scite to search
sub-directories?

Cheers - Dave

P.S. emacs and vi/vim most definitely do NOT fall in my definition of
normal ;-)