[Nottingham] Are there any decent linux text editors?

Dave daveluff at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 15 23:29:24 UTC 2010

Hi Cam,

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 23:07 +0000, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Daft question but if you want a Windows-like experience, why don't you
> just use Windows?

Well I wouldn't be able to do sudo apt-get install geany and have it
show up in Applications->Programming in about 5 seconds then :-)  And
the autotools are so much better than msvc projects and "solutions".

The first thing I do when I install Windows in to install Cygwin, to get
a bash shell.  So I guess you could say the same thing the other way
round.  I'm sure that the emacs or vim default key bindings are
mega-efficient, etc, but I have to use Windows at work, and there is no
way an old git like myself can master different finger patterns in the
day and in the evening.

> If you really like Notepad++ I tried and it seemed to run under Wine
> but to be honest I'd say that's a really poor experience compared to
> any native editor.

I don't think I've ever got anything working properly under wine!

> I tend to use vim for code editing and have tried Emacs. Lots of
> people swear by Slickedit and Eclipse. It sounds like you might not be
> editing code though.

Why?  Are coders not allowed to get exasperated and rant occasionally?
C++ and xml FWIW.

I'll try and make Wednesday's social for once, so I can have my
windows-like ways slagged off in person over a beer :-)

Cheers - Dave