[Nottingham] OT: Laptop repairs

Norman Wilson norman.wilson at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 27 20:05:13 UTC 2010

its worth checking all the usb ports for damage as a short can cause these
problems. shouldn't imagine the usb controller has been damaged as they are
usually part of the motherboard chipset and further problems would
materialise. it could be a daughterboard that has failed.

I would go with the PCMCIA card as USB port damage isn't always covered by
any warranties or extend warranties and the £75 will be diagnosis only and
mainboard for laptops can be very expensive.