[Nottingham] Deleting virtual CD drive from Western Digital USB HDD

Simon Sleaford simon.sleaford at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:42:15 UTC 2010

Hi Martin

This is the results of the command:

*simon at 106602-1004:~$ ls -lh /dev/sd* /dev/sr**
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  0 2010-09-09 10:54 /dev/sda*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  1 2010-09-09 10:52 /dev/sda1*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  2 2010-09-09 10:54 /dev/sda2*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8,  5 2010-09-09 10:52 /dev/sda5*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 16 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sdb*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 17 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sdb1*
*brw-rw----  1 root disk   8, 32 2010-09-09 11:09 /dev/sdc*
*brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11,  0 2010-09-09 13:19 /dev/sr0*
*brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11,  1 2010-09-09 12:53 /dev/sr1*
*simon at 106602-1004:~$ *

As you can see it sees it as a cdrom drive but it's actually on Western
Digital Passport USB hard drive. I don't really want to flatten the whole
drive if I can help it, I keep backups of photos, music etc on there and
don't have anywhere to copy it to.

I knows it's only a single gigabyte out of 320GB but I'm a bit annoyed that
Western Digital decided that I would like their software in a difficult to
remove partition on my drive.

Like Michael Douglas in Falling Down, "I'm just standing up for my rights as
a consumer". :)

Cheers

Simon