[Nottingham] Forensics problem

Paul Tew binarybod at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 21:15:31 UTC 2010

Luke,

Thanks for the suggestion but...

foremost, scalpel and the surprisingly more sophisticated photorec (from
the testdisk suite) are my stock-in-trade. I use these tools or
something equivalent on just about every case I examine. Unfortunately
they only work when they have data to examine and I can't get at the
unallocated area of the partition on it's own. (well actually I think I
can thanks to Mat's suggestion)

I could use these tools on the whole partition but there are 150GB of
allocated files already on disk. I don't want to have to filter out
those I know about to leave me with those I don't.

You might think that using an MD5 or SHA1 hash set against the files I
have recovered and comparing this to the files I carve using the tools
you mention would be a good idea. Surprisingly however, the carvers tend
to make lots of assumptions about the files they are carving and they
are not bit-perfect in a lot of cases. In my experience around 20% are
imperfectly carved which would leave me with a whole load of unnecessary
work that would have the potential to slow me down.

As it happens I may have enough evidence without carving the unallocated
space. Once this has been to court I'll tell you all about it ;)

Thanks to everyone who has devoted time and energy to my little
conundrum.

Paul