[Nottingham] Crippled Linux

Dan Caseley dan at caseley.me.uk
Mon Apr 4 12:26:28 UTC 2011

Absolutely - it's a massive downside of the price of Linux to OEMs. They
(and so possibly consumers could begin to) see it as "a cheap alternative to
Windows".

I don't regard the Linpus Linux as a decent exhibition of what Linux can do
either - I've left it on my Acer Aspire One, but now multi-boot with UNR,
Jolicloud and Windows 7.

Jolicloud could broadly be defined as a software stack on top of the
hardware that allows the user to reach the browser in a very friendly way.
Despite having next to zero native applications, it still makes Linpus look
like a crippled low-budget alternative to a grown-up's o/s, and I worry that
this is a worrying first exposure that Joe Public gets to Linux!

Dan