[Nottingham] Share your operating system bundling tales with the EU

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:14:08 UTC 2011

>So to me it's perfectly logical to take advantage of Microsoft
>and buy the cheaper hardware and replace the OS with Linux.
I know MS subsidies xBox hardware, but I didn't think they subsidised OEM hardware.  At best, all I had heard about was discounts for Windows units shipped.  Thus the Linux end-user is paying (albeit a reduced price) for something they don't want or need.

Problem is, MS has a get-out.  All they have to do is point at System76, Novatech etc and just say "Bundling?  What bundling?  See, there are suppliers who don't bundle Windows.  It therefore must be the consumer who chooses Windows."

J.