[Nottingham] An attack through Firefox?

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 08:59:20 UTC 2011

 On 29 April 2011 09:36, Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've just done a Google search using Mozilla Firefox (3.6.16). Instead of
> getting a Google page I have got http://freescannerdefeformation saying
> 'Your Computer in infected' and a list of 9 infections. The page in Firefox
> shows up as a Windows page with the tab saying 'Windows Security'.
>
> Also, there is s box wanting me to open 'AntiSpyWareSetup.exe. I have
> neither asked for this software to be downloaded and I've NOT downloaded
> this.
>
> I've turned the computer off, and restarted it. The above security message
> comes up again when I try to start Firefox. I've taken the desktop off line
> and am now using my netbook.
>
> I've done a search on 'freescannerdefeformationcne' and nothing comes up.
>
> Can anyone advise me of what is happening, please?
>
> I know not to download the software they appear to want me to do, but how
> do I stop this page coming up when I start up Firefox.

Have you got Firefox set to display windows and tabs from your last session
when it starts up (this is on Edit->Preferences, General tab)?  If so I
suspect this is what's happening; you somehow got diverted to a rogue page
(one attempting to con people into believing they have a Windows virus)
which is now being shown whenever you start Firefox simply because it's the
last window you had open.

The URL you've given (even the revised one) is not a complete URL, though,
so I can't have a look in any way to see what's on there - it's lacking any
top level domain (such as .com., .net, .uk etc).

--
David Aldred