[Nottingham] Considering the last talk...

Mat Booth mbooth at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 30 11:28:50 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 11:41, Paul Tew <binarybod at gmail.com> wrote:
> For my part, I have WPA2, MAC filtering and hide the SSID. None of this is
> foolproof but it ups the ante a bit. In addition, when the wifi isn't being
> used, it isn't on - try using it then (also stops google harvesting my MAC
> address) ;o).
>
> Paul

Just as an aside, it's a myth that hiding the SSID makes you more
secure. All hiding the SSID does it make it harder for users to "roam"
between access points as stations have to do an active probe for their
WLAN instead instead of listening for beacons. So instead of the SSID
being sent in clear text (unencrypted) in the beacon, it's sent in
clear text in the probe. And all stations transmit the SSID in clear
text during the association phase whether you hide the SSID or not so
all you have to do to discover it is to wait for someone else to
connect first.

Whether you run an encrypted AP or not, please make life easy for
users by including the SSID in the beacon :-)

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora