[Nottingham] Considering the last talk...

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 19:43:48 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 19:41, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 19:31, David Aldred <davidaldred at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30 April 2011 19:24, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> In my opinion, leaving an open wifi, to help my neighbours to cut the
> >> bills or sometimes even create possibility of any connection, to
> >> protect freedom of speech as well, is important enough to justify an
> >> unlikely possibility to allow a bad guy to download a picture.
> >
> > I said upload, not download.   You're happy to allow people to profit
> from
> > the abuse of children, to protect some nebulous idea of 'freedom of
> speech'
> > (which doesn't and can't exist as a pure entity in any civilised
> society)?
> >
> > What a disgusting attitude.
>
> Could we please talk about numbers?

You can if you want, but it's utterly irrelevant to the moral position.
Allowing one child to be abused here is simply wrong, and openness to
involvement in that is also simply wrong.

That's true regardless of how many people may be being killed or abused
elsewhere.   You can't justify your own disgusting approach by saying "ah
well, there are times people are even worse than I am'.  Would you regard
the killer of one child as OK, given that someone down the street had just
killed two?   If not, then you should be able to see how irrelevant talking
about numbers is: if something is wrong, it's wrong.

And in case you have some crazy idea that I'm an any way supportive of
involvement in Afghanistan, forget it: I'm not.

David Aldred