[Nottingham] USB-to-network server...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 21:01:34 UTC 2011

Folks,

Anyone know about or had any success with:

4 Port USB Gigabit Network Server
http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-usb-gigabit-network-server-521590

... sharing USB devices over the LAN...

?

Anyone know what device it actually is?

Is that workable for Linux? Or is it all Windows application proprietary
only?

I'm still looking for some way to get 4 webcams into a mini-ITX system
with just the one USB root hub available. Unfortunately, it's
increasingly looking like I'm going to have to put together an ATX
system with multiple USB cards instead :-(

Aside: no good for my x4 HD-webcams 'bullet-time' attempts but I also
noticed these have dropped in price:

USB CAT5 Booster
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-cat5-booster-221290

...Overcome the 5m limit of extending USB with this USB CAT5 booster. It
extends a USB1.1 peripheral...

USB Extender 4 Port Hub
http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-extender-4-port-hub-48549

...interconnected with low-cost Cat 5 ...

martin at ml1.co.uk