[Nottingham] Wireless connection at University of Nottingham

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Wed Feb 2 20:12:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, David Aldred wrote:

> If it's specifically today, it's not just wifi - the proxy servers have been
> being upgraded and net access generally has been appalling while they'vce
> done it - I assume something went wrong!  Looks like it's fixed now,
> though.
>
> David Aldred

Indeed.  To find information about the (relatively) current status of IT
Services at UON, you can visit:

http://status.nottingham.ac.uk/

Which lists the proxy upgrade today that David mentioned.  Essentially all
of the campus network traffic was being shunted through the underequipped
SNS proxy while the main campus Finjan proxy was being upgraded.  The
ability to get to off-campus websites today was appaling, to say the
least.

The ability to acquire IP addresses through DHCP is a different one, and
not all buildings on campus use the same software or methods (some are
actually still using BootP servers!)  How this affects the wireless access
in each building specifically, I couldn't say, but I can say for certain
that not all network set-ups and not all access points in all buildings
are equal.

Also watch to make sure you have good signal strength wherever you are
trying to access the wireless.  Not all areas of all buildings are covered
well, either.  If schools want more access points, they usually have to
pay for them out of school funds, and such requests are generally made by
the School Manager-- so he or she is the one you need to bug if the area
you need to use WiFi in doesn't have acceptable coverage.

Cheers,

-Stef