[Nottingham] A quick bash updating table lookup

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 18:56:08 UTC 2011

On 7 February 2011 18:38, Mat Booth <mbooth at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> ... databases work but the indices are there
> exactly to provide a record search that's faster than a linear
> lookup...

Indeed so for a static table. The sequence goes:

Populate the table;
Update the (hash or whatever) index;
Enjoy quick reads from the table.

For this case under consideration, the table is being continuously
randomly updated whilst also being read to see if anything has been
already seen...

Do databases support such as (big) sparse tables or fast updating of a
table index without a long pregnant pause upon each new entry and
re-index?

And I was trying to keep things 'simple'. At the moment, the biggest
utilities being used are bash and md5sum!

What would be 'nice' would be a "btree" utility...

Is there something that will give the largest inode number that has
been used for a file in a filesystem?

Still open to ideas! :-)