[Nottingham] Impending... IPv6

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Thu Jan 20 10:08:49 UTC 2011

> I'm afraid I don't know much about IPv6 but I think the 'IPocalypse' may
> be here imminently:
> http://etherealmind.com/the-ipocalypse-is-nigh-bring-it-on/
>
> looks like that rumour has been 'officially' quashed:
> http://twitter.com/steve_evil

Insider information "quashed" or not - the last 2 /8 blocks of IPv4 will be
requested
(if they haven't already by APNIC) and the remaining 5 will then be assigned
to the RIR.

I can't see it taking too long and if APNIC don't get there soon someone
else will :).

IPv6 has always been a chicken or the egg problem IMO but running out of v4
*might* speed its arrival.

ChrisB.
p.s. Sorry "list admin(s)" for my previous failed attempts of mail with a
stuck key luckily with the wrong from address :).