[Nottingham] Impending... IPv6

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 14:19:27 UTC 2011

On 29 January 2011 13:41, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 13:33, Christopher Joice <christopher at c25.eu> wrote:
>> As far as the end user is concerned, a number they didn't know about
>> changes.
>> As for firewalls, yes, that's a big deal, but I'll be surprised if NAT
>> vanishes with v6.
>
> so now you are surprised :)

We discussed that at our last meeting. Although you shouldn't need any
NAT anywhere any more, there will still be NAT on gateways and
firewalls to keep devices on internal networks isolated from the web.
Or for example NAT will be used to hide or load balance the IPs of the
individual servers in a web server cluster on a DMZ. Likely other
scenarios also...

One question is whether Marketing (or others) will seize upon
everyone's unique IP addresses for various web connected  devices for
tracking or other identification purposes...