[Nottingham] Android update kills USB internet tether?!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 22:15:02 UTC 2011

On 30 January 2011 22:00, Richard Hodgson <rich at dearinternet.com> wrote:
> Which phone is it and which network? Some networks have their own official
> OTA updates that have their own setups regarding tethering.

HTC on Vodafone. Been fine so far other than for their poor
instructions for when you first get the smartphone. So far, this is
the first hiccup.

> Personally, I'm all for rooting and getting a more fully featured ROM - Once
> you get a custom recovery ROM onto the phone, you can do a full Nandroid
> backup, meaning that you can easily restore your previous setup if a new ROM
> doesn't work out for you. I can personally recommend the CyanogenMod ROMs -
> I tend to use a recent nightly build, which are generally pretty stable, but
> the RCs are usually the safest.

That's something to be looked at when I have the need or some spare
time. Meanwhile, this is quite a nice leap up from my old 'stoneage'
simple previous phone! :-)