[Nottingham] [Talk] Wednesday 06/07/2011 GAIA – How to take a Galactic Census

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 21:57:33 UTC 2011

Folks,

Wednesday 06/07/2011

As promised, for this Wednesday we go into space in an astronomically BIG way:

GAIA - How to take a Galactic Census
=============================

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/gaia-how-to-take-a-galactic-census/270

"Gaia is ESA’s most ambitious ... astrometric mission to date. ... 1
billion stars in our Galaxy ... continuously scanning the sky for 5
years with its two 1.45 x 0.5m main telescopes. ... high resolution
radial velocities ... [for] the largest and most precise 3-dimensional
chart of our galaxy [so far]. ... the all-sky nature of the mission
will see millions of quasars and a comprehensive survey of solar
system objects ...

The accuracy requirements of the mission present significant
technological, calibration and software challenges.

In this talk I will give a brief introduction to the mission, how
those challenges are being met and the scientific rewards we hope to
gain from this endeavour."

Phew! :-) … To use the famous catch-phrase of a certain physicist: Amazing!

Further details on:
http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/06/gaia-how-to-take-a-galactic-census/270

Be Amazed! All at our usual venue:

Fellows Morton and Clayton
54 Canal Street
Nottingham, NG1 7EH
Telephone: 0115 9506795

To find us,  go through to the back of the pub and we’re up the vastly
smaller spiral of the restaurant staircase black helix. Just ask one
of the friendly bar staff for NLUG if lost.

Food is also served through into the evening.

Wednesday 06/07/2011:

    * 7:30pm: Meet
    * 8:00pm: Talk
    * 9:00pm: General discussions