[Nottingham] Install problems on new Netbook - Aspire One D255

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 19:46:58 UTC 2011

Hi, all

I'm having problems with a new netbook.   I want to install Linux,
naturally; I have a liveUSB stick which starts up and gets to a certain
point, then stops.  I've tried with two USB sticks and two different Linux
distros (both Ubuntu variants).

At the point at which things stop, if I press CTRL-ALT-F1, I get the first
console,.  The last messages on the console relate to the USB mass storage
driver being initialised; then everything stops.  There's a logic here which
is saying that having registered the USB drivers, the installation can't
proceed from the USB stick as somethign has gone wrong with how it's
addressing it, but that's surmise.

I can get rather further with  Damn Small Linux, which again from USB will
start and gets to the desktop.   But I don't want to use DSL long term!

Any suggestions?   I'm aware that the AAO D255 needs a bit or work to get
its SD card reader working, but I've not seen any issues reported with the
USB side!

David Aldred