[Nottingham] OpenID?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jul 17 16:04:03 UTC 2011

On 17 July 2011 01:15, Alex Holt <alex.holt at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone come across OpenID?
>>>
>>> Anyone using it? Comments good or bad?
>>>
>>> OpenID
>>> http://openid.net/
>>
>> I use it via my Google account for a couple of sites, it works OK but if
>> the sites domain ever changes the user id will obviously be different
>> causing a new account to be created
>
> I feel I should note that that's just something Google do with their OpenID
> implementation. It's not a property of OpenID itself; normally the "user id"
> is just your OpenID URL.

A current TheRegister comment:

Mozilla outs un-Google site sign-in prototype
Token-free BrowserID
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/15/mozilla_browser_id/

The open source outfit also says the system is superior to OpenID and
other identity token–based protocols because it puts so little between
the user and the site they're visiting.

... We certainly need to do something to overcome the explosion of
usernames and passwords that gets everyone bewildered for doing
anything online...

Could we abandon usernames and passwords completely?