[Nottingham] NLUG: What's in a name?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 19:18:28 UTC 2011

Folks,

At the moment, we've got for our website the title:

"Nottingham Linux Users Group"

and the tagline:

"For all and everyone Linux"

For those that know, what we commonly describe and use as "Linux" is
actually a vital chunk of "GNU" tools and utilities running on top of
a kernel. The "Linux" is actually 'just' the kernel. All of that is
protected by various flavours of the GPL 'copyleft' licence. Neither
part can work without the other for we commonly understand to be
'Linux'... Indeed, I think the GPL has been essential for defending
the very existence of "GNU/Linux".

Trying to be more descriptive, are there any objections/comments for
using the title:

"Nottingham GNU/Linux Users Group"

and the tagline:

"For all and everyone and anything Free/Libre and Open Sourced"

for the group website?

(Is there a FLOSH for the hardware for FLOSS?! :-) )

What say you all?