[Nottingham] USB Microscope

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 12:43:32 UTC 2011

On 18 June 2011 11:43, Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to buy a USB microscope, and wonder if anyone has any experience of buying a device that's worked straight away with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Not played with any of them, but I believe usually they are just
"webcams" with whatever lens attachment. Check out a few reviews and
examples. The quality between different types will vary enormously. If
possible, get one which follows the "UVC" standard so that it most
easily works with Linux and everything else.

Also beware for the claimed resolution... Often, an interpolated
(software generated) high resolution is claimed whereas the physical
sensor has a much smaller resolution. You can't create a more detailed
picture if the image detail was never seen by the sensor in the first
place! Note also that for a microscope, the lens and lighting quality
are the most important factors.

Hope that helps a little.

Anyone out there played with such things?