[Nottingham] Here's something to annoying you

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:34:48 UTC 2011

> In my experience, the explanation for these notices is usually a case
> of not having any spare QA resources to test all browser/platform
> combinations rather than laziness.

The problem there is that listing only those platforms "tested" is
misleading and a misleading advertisement promoting just those
platforms... Somewhat exclusion-ist and discriminatory...

As an aside, anyone else get irritated by the automatically added mail
sigs advertising some vendor's futile "anti-virus check" or the "sent
from my xxxx" device?

> Of course the same browser can behave differently on different
> platforms! The leading example is text rendering -- you cannot
> guarantee what fonts are available on the client side and I have seen
> cases sites with translations to languages requiring unicode fonts
> failing to render correctly on certain platforms with poorly
> implemented fonts.

Can 'unusual' or 'custom' fonts be downloaded by a browser when a
website demands some font that is not available? If a website is using
something custom or exotic, then there should be a mechanism to
support that... Or do we fall back on the website server doing all the
rendering work and just transferring an image with hot-spot mapping
for hotlinks?

> Good luck to you if you want to display the new Indian rupee symbol on
> a stock Windows install in *any* browser. ;-)

As added here?! ;-)

(Apologies to the list digest people. Hope not too messy!)