[Nottingham] Here's something to annoying you

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 14:11:46 UTC 2011

> Of course the same browser can behave differently on different
> platforms! The leading example is text rendering -- you cannot
> guarantee what fonts are available on the client side and I have seen
> cases sites with translations to languages requiring unicode fonts
> failing to render correctly on certain platforms with poorly
> implemented fonts.
And it is perfectly valid to check with the browser what resources it
does/does not have access to and I accept this can be influenced by the
hosting OS, user permissions etc. but as far as the site cares, it should
just be that browser X does not support Y.

> Good luck to you if you want to display the new Indian rupee symbol on
> a stock Windows install in *any* browser. ;-)
You mean it's not "?"? :)

And I'd just like to apologise to everyone for starting this...shall
probably continue tonight in the Last Post, Beeston.  You are coming, aren't
you?

J.