[Nottingham] Writing Linux Kernel Functions In CUDA With KGPU

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat May 7 14:17:07 UTC 2011

Rory,

On 6 May 2011 22:25, Rory Holland <rory at linux.com> wrote:
> I know Martin will be interested in this, and maybe some general interest too?
>
> ... KGPU is a
> workaround to enable Linux kernel functionality written in CUDA.
> Instead of figuring out GPU specs via reverse-engineering, it simply
> uses a userspace helper to do CUDA-related work for kernelspace
> requesters. ...
>
> Read more at Slashdot
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/05/06/1940220/Writing-Linux-Kernel-Functions-In-CUDA-With-KGPU

Rather interesting, but one commenter has already picked up on what
would be one of my concerns:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2132414&cid=36052010

"Is it a good idea for the protected kernel to rely on unprotected
code for critical functions such as filesystem operations? I know that
user-space code cannot directly interfere with the kernel, but it also
doesn't have to do anything the kernel requests of it. Unless the
kernel is designed to treat such user-space code as altogether
untrustworthy, it seems to me a bad idea for the kernel to rely on
user-space code in this manner."

Is GPGPU memory protected against surreptitious reading or
modification by a trojan or whatever malware during KGPU filesystem or
encryption operations...?