[Nottingham] Time lapse video encoding

Dave daveluff at ntlworld.com
Fri May 13 21:35:24 UTC 2011

Martin wrote:
> >From "man ffmpeg":
>
> For creating a video from many images:
>
>                ffmpeg -f image2 -i foo-%03d.jpeg -r 12 -s WxH foo.avi
>
>        The syntax "foo-%03d.jpeg" specifies to use a decimal number
> composed of three digits padded with zeroes to express the sequence
> number. It is the same syntax supported by the C printf
>        function, but only formats accepting a normal integer are suitable.

Ah ha, thank you.  That looks like it should be just the ticket :-)
>> Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what is the best video format to
>> encode into, there seem to be a confusing multitude out there!  I realise
>> that "best" is very subjective!
>>

> Firstly define in what way 'best'. Then let's see how the discussion run!!

I think that the best way to put it, is that if I was asking the
question about digital photos, the answer would be jpeg.  I guess I'm
after a "standard" format that will ensure no problems with finding
something to play it back either on Linux or Windows either now or as
far in the future as possible, and which is also uploadable to youtube.
Preferably with good compression since hard disk space is currently a
big constraint, but editability is not really an issue since I'm not
planning to edit the result.  After spending a good hour or so reading
about codecs and containers and the like, I'm still really not any the
wiser as to what it currently the "normal" format for digital video.

> Do we then get a video show of how your garden has grown?... ;-)

No, clouds.

Cheers - Dave