[Nottingham] RE Subject: Time lapse video encoding

Mark Brown mark at markay.co.uk
Sat May 14 09:08:41 UTC 2011

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 20:14:52 +0100
From: Dave <daveluff at ntlworld.com>
Subject: [Nottingham] Time lapse video encoding
To: Notts GNU/Linux Users Group <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk>

Hi List,

Does anyone know of an open-source program that can take a directory
full of photos (jpgs) and convert them to a video?  Something along the
lines of photolapse 3 on this page:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/index.html which is unfortunately both
closed source and Windows only.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what is the best video format to
encode into, there seem to be a confusing multitude out there!  I
realise that "best" is very subjective!

Cheers - Dave

Dave

I do this on a regular basis and have found that Kdenlive is ideal.

Start it up  and then from the menu bar

Project > Add Slideshow clip

Then  point to the images folder and set the frame duration, I normally
do this in numbers of frames. Click OK and a video clip is created that
you can view right away. You can then edit it and render it out as a
video file of your choice.

Hope this is what you're after.

Cheers
Mark