[Nottingham] What mobile to get?

Mat Booth mbooth at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 20 14:24:07 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 14:31, Camilo Mesias <camilo at mesias.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm curious that you'd go from a phone with a keyboard to one without.
> It is such a big part of the UX. So I'd say if you are looking at
> Android phones at all, at least consider one with a keyboard - say
> Desire Z or Sony Ericsson X10 mini pro. I have the mini pro and
> although it's not cutting edge, it will run many apps, is pocketable,
> has a functional tactile keyboard and works well as a phone - I also
> got it on a very cheap deal.
>
> There are upgraded versions of the X10 mini pro and HTC wildfire out
> imminently that have much improved screens - also worth considering.
>
> -Cam

I disagree. I bought an Android based Motorola Milestone because it
had a mechanical keyboard and almost immediately found myself entirely
converted to an on-screen keyboard user because the mechanical
keyboard was so crap. You can't  even easily tell which key your
finger is over when the keyboard is that small, whereas the on-screen
keyboard will show you a larger picture of the key you pressed so if
you miss you can move your finger before releasing it -- this sort of
added usability value that's impossible to achieve with a mechanical
keyboard that convinced me that a fancy on-screen keyboard is vastly
superior to a mechanical keyboard that's too small to touch type on.
My next phone will have no physical keyboard.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora