[Nottingham] Just how smart is rsync?

Richard Dewhurst dewhurst+lug_nottingham at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:11:28 UTC 2011

Or take the more sensible option of extracting the zip files on both
ends and running rsync on the uncompressed images.

Rsync is perfectly capable of transferring only the changed portions of
a large file, it's just that compressed files tend to change completely
when the files inside change, unless created with something like gzip's
--rsyncable.

It also has --compress/--compress-level if you want to compress the
transfer itself.